Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Trim Healthy Tuesdays: Smokey Sweet Potato Pancakes E


Another recipe with sweet potatoes!! I admit I wasn't a big fan of sweet potatoes other than with Thanksgiving dinner (and the one time I baked a sweet potato pie, which was AWESOME, but very VERY sweet!) Now I have been working on some new ideas for sweet potatoes!
 photo SweetPotatoPancakePin.jpg A few weeks ago, I showed you my Sweet Potato Pasta with Chicken, which we loved! Then I saw this recipe for "Sweet Potato Crisps" over at the Carrotsncake blog (which has some awesome "THM-friendly" recipes by the way- go check it out!). The recipe is THM friendly E "as is" (as long as you watch your portion-size, we'll discuss this more later) However, another recipe came to mind that I loved in the past.
 
 
This is the second time I'm bringing up a Rachel Ray recipe, I love her! She had a recipe for potato pancakes, that have a wonderful smokey taste from some added smoked gouda cheese. I decided to incorporate a little of that Smokey flavor here as well! (I still have an idea of trying a vegetable pancake with smoked gouda that would be S- friendly in the future)
 
So without further ado, here we go!
 
Ingredients
 
2 sweet potatoes, grated
1/2 cup egg whites
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon rosemary 
2 tsp smoked paprika spice
1/4 teaspoon pepper

 
Preheat oven to 425 F. You will be baking these on a wire rack set on top of a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet. I used a very small amount of melted coconut oil to grease the wire rack.
 
 
Yeah, sooo not a gourmet chef. And yes that's old Teflon, and no I don't ever bake directly on it. Someone want to by me some nice stainless steel cookie sheets?
 
 
 Grate sweet potatoes by hand or in a food processor.

 

 
 Place in a bowl and squeeze out and remove as much liquid as you can. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
 
 
 
 
Form into golf-ball sized balls. (I just used my hands for this part, Mine seemed to need a little squeezing to hold firmly together) Flatten and place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet.
 
 Ready to go in the oven, artistically taking the picture close up from the side so as to avoid showcasing my ugly cookie sheets =)
 
 
 
 Bake at 425 for about a 30- 45 minutes. My disclaimer is I am in the South, it was very humid and I use a propane stove. So you basically want them to look like this, however long that takes for your climate and oven.

 
 
 
 
Serve with Greek yogurt.
 
 
 
I gave one of these to each of my kids, not really expecting them to enjoy them. As a rule, my kids dislike most anything with the word "potato" in it (so "fries" are the exception here LOL) I assumed my eldest, who is by far my most adventurous foodie, would finish what the other two left (after they licked all the Greek yogurt off- my kids tastes are weird) But actually they all loved these and asked for seconds! So that's two sweet potato meals that they all ate some of! Yeah for vitamin A! =)

 


This will make a decent amount of pancakes. I got around 24 out of this recipe. This is a lot of Parmesan cheese which has, on average about 1.5 grams of fat per 2 tsp. I looked it up online and found there are 48 tsp per one cup, which bring our fat up to 36 grams per the entire recipe. Split that 24 ways and you've got 1.5 grams of fat per cake. If you want to keep your fats under 5 grams to keep this an E you would be able to have 3 of these, anymore and you are into crossover territory. (Disclaimer: It's a running joke in my house how poor my math skills are. I *think* I added the fats up right, but if someone with better math skills than me sees an error, please let me know in the comments!) If you want to serve this as a crossover for your kids or husband, it would be really easy to just add full-fat sour cream on top. (We just had it as a snack so I wasn't super worried about it with my kids)  


Print-Friendly Version
 

Ingredients
 
 
2 sweet potatoes, grated
1/2 cup egg whites
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon rosemary 
2 tsp smoked paprika spice
1/4 teaspoon pepper

 
Preheat oven to 425 F. You will be baking these on a wire rack set on top of a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet. I used a very small amount of melted coconut oil to grease the wire rack.Grate sweet potatoes by hand or in a food processor.Place in a bowl and squeeze out and remove as much liquid as you can. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Form into golf-ball sized balls. (I just used my hands for this part, mine seemed to need a little squeezing to hold firmly together) Flatten and place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Bake at 425 for about a 30- 45 minutes or until slightly browned at the edges. Serve with Greek yogurt. 

 
linked up at Trim Healthy Tuesdays 
and

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, they were pretty great, if I do say so myself ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, yummy! I love Rachel Ray too, AND smoked paprika. :) Thanks for sharing and for linking up on Trim Healthy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and get to know you better! "He who restrains his words has knowledge,
And he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding." Prov 17:27
If your comments are insulting, rude or inflammatory, they will be deleted.